Today we are supposed to lift off to our final destination, but we can't! The soft snowflakes keep falling and falling. The only thing left to do is eat, and keep eating! So far, two feet of snow has built up in places. It's actually quite beautiful.
Finally the snow stops in the late afternoon. A good strong wind arrives from the east. I lift off with the flock and head toward the breeding grounds where I am going to raise chicks of my own. I think about the cycles in nature and how miraculous they are. Off we go . . . I hope I find Jorge up in the breeding grounds. I have a lot of news to share with him!
- For Teachers
- Chapter 1: Maya on a Mexican Shores
- Chapter 2: Maya Gets Ready
- Chapter 3: Maya's Unique Design
- Chapter 4: Shorebird's Special Gifts
- Chapter 5: The Fear of the Falcon
- Chapter 6: Maya Heads North
- Chapter 7: San Francisco Bay
- Chapter 8: Gray's Harbor, Washington
- Chapter 9: The Beautiful Copper River Delta
- Chapter 10: A Sudden Storm
- Glossary: Helpful Words Relating to Shorebirds and Wetlands